Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building | Горный Университет
From the date of the base of the Mining University passed 246 years 280 days.

Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building

Monday, 19 September, 2016
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building
Coat of arms of Russian Empire reinstalled on portico pediment of St Petersburg Mining University Building

The portico of the St Petersburg Mining University architectural ensemble has been recently ornamented with the coat of arms of the Russian Empire demounted in the late 1920s. The historical appearance of the façade was restored upon the recommendation of UNESCO.

The establishment of the imperial coat of arms on the pediment of the 12-column portico facing the Neva was initially planned by Andrey Voronikhin. However, the figure of the double-headed eagle appeared there as early as in 1811 for the ceremonial opening of the campus, designed by the outstanding Russian architect for the Mining Cadet Corps – the name of the university in those days.

In accordance with the archival documents, the author of the design and form of the coat of arms was a well-known painter Artemy Anisimov – he was among the sculptors who created the statuaries for the Admiralty building. Nevertheless, it would be wrong to exclude the suggestion that the relief could have been made by Stepan Pimenov and Vasily Demut-Malinovsky who worked at the sculptural decoration of the university façade.

The earliest representations of the Mining Institute portico with the imperial coat of arms were engravings made in the 1870-1890s. The photographs of the mid 1930s already showed the lack of any relief; later, in the late 1930s there appeared a modelled coat of arms of the USSR on the pediment. The last photo which captured the double-headed eagle was dated 1929. The photo demonstrates solely the coat of arms without the whole façade view; for this reason, the holders and fasteners can be seen in detail. The relief was made of metal by means of the punching technique and fastened to the pediment with nails through eye ends. Wrought nails project above the surface of the stucco approximately every 50 cm.

The present-day coat of arms is the entire replica of the original coat of arms; it was cast in bronze by the specialists of the restoration workshop “Nasledie” via the thin-section casting technique relying on that very photograph of the late 1920s. Its height is four meters, the eagle wing spread is eight meters, and the ribbon length is eleven meters. The relief restoration works lasted for about 18 months.

Система Orphus
Стандартная версия сайта