The Department of practical training, employment support and graduate job placement was founded by the University Council in 2002 on the basis of the department of in-plant training and postgraduate work assignments with new, additional functions according to the goals set by the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation in order to organize university employment centers.
-The University cooperates in various ways with companies and organizations acting as employers:
- Within the framework of agreements on employer-sponsored education (executive authorities send candidates to high school to acquire professions which are insufficient at regional enterprises, and then guarantee their subsequent employment);
-Within the framework of innovation educational programs (training and practical sessions are organized at the training grounds in the Nenets Autonomous Area and in the Republic of Buryatia, where undergraduate and graduate students, and young professionals of the university can carry out geological and geophysical investigations);
- Within the framework of long-term programs on cooperation and projects with companies and organizations in the following stages:
- adaptation course – company presentations, tours of the structural units of enterprises;
- on-the-job training (for the period of practical training);
- professional jobs in conditions of real production processes
- (practical training – work placement);
- work on course and diploma projects on daily issues at enterprises;
- probation periods in the capacity of specialists;
- in the frame of agreements on employer-sponsored training under the contract (between the enterprise, university, and student) which are signed starting with the third year of studies;
- on firms’ individual requests.
A database of job vacancies has been created and is regularly adjusted to take company needs into consideration. Information on the state and trends of the labor market is provided to students and graduates on information stands in the department’s classrooms and galleries according to the main areas of training. Large posters about leading companies are presented in recreation areas of the university, covering different branches industry. The high level of computerization of the university allows all interested students to get information on the university website on available job vacancies, various innovative projects that are being carried out by the university for different branches of industry, equipment, application of new technologies and equipment. This allows students to make informed decisions when choosing jobs.
In addition, it has become a tradition for big companies such as Shell, Total, Petro-Canada, De Beers, Alrosa, Novatek, MetallGroup, etc. to hold presentations of their activities in the university.
Presentations of professions and business games with Yuganskneftegaz, Surgutneftegaz, Norilsk Nickel, Lukoil, etc. are held regularly for students of the University.
Top managers and experts from core regional enterprises are regular guests at the Mining University. They meet students and give public lectures on the latest achievements in machines and technologies and organizational management.
The Mining University’s graduates include prominent representatives of Russian science, government officials, and heads of major manufacturing firms, and this confirms the University’s authority. They include:
- Mironov Sergey Mikhailovich – Vice-Speaker of the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation,
- Maksimov Andrey Stanislavovich - Chairman of the Committee for Science and Higher Education of the Government of St. Petersburg,
- Runkvist Dmitry Vasilyevich - Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, director of the V.I. Vernadsky Geological Museum,
- Glebovitsky Viktor Andreevich - Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences , Head of the Laboratory of the Institute of Precambrian Geology and Geochronology, the Russian Academy of Sciences,
- Kozyrev Anatoly Alekseevich - Deputy Director General of the Kola Scientific Center,
- Alpatov Sergey Nikolaevich - CEO of Association of Underground Builders,
- Gustov Sergei Vadimovich - CEO of Gazpromregiongas,
- Biryukov Anatoly Evgenievich - Chairman of the Sovetskiy Bank
- Chumakov Yury Alekseevich - Chief Metallurgist of the Kola Mining and Metallurgical Company,
- Malov Nikolay Dmitrievich - Chief Geologist, deputy CEO of Sevzapgeologiya,
- Korovkin Vadim Aleksandrovich - Deputy Director for Regional Geology and Metallogeny of the Petersburg complex geological expedition.