Department of History

Head of Department, Professor, Doctor of Historical Sciences:

Afanasyev Vladimir Georgiyevich

Address: Study Center No.2, 82, Sredny Prospekt, the Mining University, St Petersburg 199026, Russia

Tel.:  +7 (812) 328 82 04, 328 82 24

E-mail: elada@spmi.ru

Department includes
7 members, among them:
1 professors, 5 associate professors and 1 assistant lecturers.

Brief historical overview

The Mining College, the first higher technical educational institution in Russia, was founded in St. Petersburg on October 21, 1773 by the decree of Catherine II. Initially only mining courses were taught at the College. However, two years after opening, a number of secondary school subjects were added to the curriculum, including the humanities.
According to the first Charter of the institution, adopted in 1804, the teaching of general subjects was extended to include Russian, German and French, Russian and international history, logic, rhetoric and geography. The reorganization of the education system in the mid-19th century resulted in some changes in the curricula of the Mining Institute. As a result the only humanities subjects that remained were foreign languages.
There was no regular instruction in social sciences after October 1917. It resumed after the issue of the January 1925 decree of the Central Committee of the Russian Communist Party, ‘On the lower limit of social sciences and promotion of Leninism in universities’. The curricula of all the faculties of the institute in the academic years 1925-1926 included historical materialism, political economy, the history of the trade union movement, the history of the Russian Communist Party, the commercial and public law of the USSR, the Soviet economy and economic policy.
From the mid-1930s to the early 1960s, subjects such as the history of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (since 1952 - CPSU), philosophy, and scientific communism were taught in the Department of Marxism-Leninism. In 1963 this was divided into the Department of the Communist Party and the Department of History of Philosophy and Scientific Communism. In the late 1980s - early 1990s the Department of Scientific Communism was reorganized into the Department of Sociology and Political Science.
In 1994 the Department of History and the Department of Sociology and Political Science were merged into one - the Department of History and Political science. It was headed by Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor V.G. Afanasyev, who is a specialist in the history of mining, education and fuel industries.
In September 2010, the Department of History once again became a separate entity within the Department of Fundamental Science and the Humanities.

Heads of the Department of History:

  • 1946 - 1961 - N.M. Sokolov, Ph.D., Associate Professor
  • 1961 - 1966 - A.A. Utyuzhkina, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
  • 1966 - 1971 - K.A. Ivanov, Ph.D., Associate Professor
  • 1971 - 1985 - M.I. Likhomanov, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor
  • 1985 - 1991 - Professor E.D. Popova, Doctor of Historical Sciences
  • 1991 - 1994 - L.T. Pozina, Ph.D., Associate Professor
  • 1994 - present - V.G. Afanasyev, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor
Система Orphus
Стандартная версия сайта